[aspect-devel] The output of nonadiabatic_temperature

Juliane Dannberg dannberg at gfz-potsdam.de
Tue Oct 11 10:50:46 PDT 2016

Hi Nan,

I haven't found a good way to plot the depth average files in Paraview,
and as far as I know we also don't have a visualization postprocessor
that does exactly what you want to do (if anyone has a good idea please
speak up!)
When I used the "depth average" postprocessor I always used pyplot for
visualization, so if you already have all of your output as .csv you
could write a python script to make your plot.

If you want to use Paraview, you would probably have to write your own
postprocessor in Aspect that outputs exactly what you want (and we would
be happy to see a pull request for that!).
Alternatively, you could write your own adiabatic conditions plugin that
computes the average temperature for each depth and updates it every
time step and uses that as adiabatic temperature (and then you could use
the "nonadiabatic temperature" postprocessor). That second option is
more of a hack, and would only work if you don't need the adiabatic
temperature for anything else in your model, because in this case your
adiabatic conditions would contain something that's not really an
adiabatic profile any more, but it would probably be easier to implement.

Best,
Juliane