[aspect-devel] Discrepancy in L2 Error of Velocity between deal.II and ParaView

Timo Heister heister at clemson.edu
Tue Oct 25 06:04:49 PDT 2016

Harsha,

> Why is there this discrepancy in error between the dealii function, VectorTools::integrate_difference and the discrete L2 norm computed through Paraview? Is this at all related to the geometry of the domain?

Visualization output is
1. using a linear representation of the quadratic FE space for the velocity
2. not representing curved faces using higher order mappings (manifold
descriptions) but linear interpolated "straight" edges.

Finally, I doubt paraview is using quadratures as accurate as we are
using. Of course you can not expect the results to be the same.

http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/