[aspect-devel] The output of nonadiabatic_temperature

Juliane Dannberg dannberg at gfz-potsdam.de
Tue Oct 25 11:08:38 PDT 2016

Hi Nan,

> I spent a long time to understand the namespace in aspect, and finally
> defined a global array to transfer the average temperature
> into compute_derived_quantities_vector(). I passed the compiling, and
> am doing the calculation test.
>
> While, I still have a question for the virtual
> function compute_derived_quantities_vector(). I found that it is never
> called directly either in the visualization or the simulator, by grep
> -r "compute_derived_quantities_vector" . under the source directory. I
> could guess where it is called in the visualization.cc. But, could you
> accurately point me where it is called. I want to understand the logic
> flow more clearly.
In visualization.cc in the execute() function is where the data of the
individual postprocessors is computed and added to the output. However,
much of that happens within deal.ii. That is also why you don't find the
call to the compute_derived_quantities_vector() function within the
source directory of Aspect, it's called from deal.ii. I think
compute_derived_quantities_vector() is called from
data_out.build_patches() (line 439).  If you want to know more about how
exactly that works, you can have a look at the documentation of the
DataOut class in deal.ii.

Best,
Juliane