[aspect-devel] Van Keken et al. 2008 subduction benchmark

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 27 10:28:23 PDT 2016

Hi Max,

I haven't tried this benchmark specifically, but yesterday I tried a
problem (GeoMod compression) with prescribed internal boundary
conditions using the same plugin.

The internal velocity field I prescribed was quite simple compared to
the subduction benchmark (uniform horizontal and vertical velocity), but
time-dependent.  I had no solver issues when the internal velocity
constraints did not vary with time, but immediately had solver issues
once I incorporated time-dependence.

I'm not sure what the solution on my end is, but perhaps velocity-based
mesh refinement (multiple initial refinement steps) in your case would
help?

As I recall, mesh refinement in at least Peter's code (SEPRON-based)
helped minimize pressure oscillations in the region of the
discontinuity.  Susanne Buiter's code (SULEC, no AMR) also has similar
issues to what you describe below with this benchmark.

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis