[aspect-devel] Van Keken et al. 2008 subduction benchmark

Jonathan Perry-Houts jperryh2 at uoregon.edu
Thu Oct 27 11:03:13 PDT 2016

Hi Max,

I don't know what's going wrong, but one thing that comes to mind is
that constraining internal velocities is a bit weird in a finite element
sense because we're prescribing solutions on particular nodes (i.e.
setting rows in the mass matrix to the identity, and setting the RHS in
those rows to some arbitrary value that doesn't represent rho*g
anymore), but the rest of the assembly is still integrating over entire
cells and expecting the usual RHS values.

The reason the internal velocities thing is only described in the
cookbook and not included in the code is because the number of ways that
could go wrong (understandably) made Wolfgang nervous. It could be that
the discontinuous pressure elements in the "use locally conservative
discretization" option just make it easier to run into cases where one
of the assumptions here is violated.

Another way you might try the Van Keken benchmark would be making a
geometry model (mesh) with one 45 degree angle, and just prescribing
boundary conditions rather than internal velocities. I vaguely remember
hearing Wolfgang say he had tried something like this and found that
quadrilateral elements didn't work so well, though.

-JPH