[aspect-devel] Boundary composition

Lev Karatun lev.karatun at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:09:52 PDT 2016

Hi,

I'm doing a lithospheric scale convergence model, imposing influx (along
the x axis) at the top half of the side walls (y=0, YMAX), and outflux at
the bottom half. Over the course of the simulation, the lithosphere at the
side of the model (the part that was injected) gets progressively thinner.
The vertical (z) and lateral (y) velocities are set to zero at the
boundary, but I noticed that a lateral flow is still happening very close
to the side wall, and my guess is that due to the material mixing the
outermost cells don't consist of lithoshperic material anymore, but only
of, let's say, 80% lithospheric and 20% mantle. So the question is: is it
possible to manually restrict the incoming material to be of the same
properties as it was in the outer cells at the beginning of the simulation
(as opposed to the previous time step, which as fast as I understand is
defining the material right now -- correct me if I'm wrong). Also, I was
wondering if parameters in section Boundary composition model are related
to this? I tried setting Model name to "initial composition" but it didn't
seem to change anything.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Lev Karatun.