[aspect-devel] Far different velocity magnitudes & timestep sizes of the same Ra

Shangxin Liu sxliu at vt.edu
Thu Apr 20 12:01:10 PDT 2017

Hi Timo and John,

Before making further comments, there is a typo in my first email. I just
checked my prm files for these three cases. The CFL number of them is all
0.5 instead of 1. And I use 3 global refinement, 0 adaptive refinement,
with fixed mesh.

Yes. I can further try decreasing CFL number or increasing the grid
resolution. But the reason why we use 3 global refinement, i.e., 49152
cells globally is that Zhong et al., 2008 paper uses 12*32^3 (393216) cells
globally, which is equivalent to global refinement 4 in ASPECT. However,
since ASPECT uses quadratic element while CitcomS uses linear element, we
suppose the lower global refinement 3 of ASPECT is equivalent to higher
global refinement 4 in CitcomS.

John, the reason why we modify alpha and gravity to fix Ra is that
previously before the true Boussinesq approximation was merged into ASPECT,
we use a very small alpha to mimic constant reference density in energy
equation. Now we further try these series with the new ASPECT with Boussinesq
approximation formulation and found this confused issue.

Timo, I'm using free slip boundary condition for velocity on both top and
bottom boundary.

The attachment is the prm file for my first case that uses 7000 gravity and
1.0 alpha. You can simply change gravity to 70000/700000 and alpha to
0.1/0.01 to get case2/case3. Let's see whether we can get the
same tilmestep size and velocity magnitudes of the three cases.

Best,
Shangxin