[aspect-devel] Far different velocity magnitudes & timestep sizes of the same Ra

Shangxin Liu sxliu at vt.edu
Fri Apr 21 15:00:33 PDT 2017

Hi Timo, John, and others,

I quickly made several new tests using the new Boussinesq approximation
formulation of the higher 1e-7 Stokes linear tolerance and 0.1 CFL number.
The results are compiled in the attachment. 1e-7 higher tolerance and 0.1
CFL number don't help a lot. There is still order-of-magnitude difference
of the velocity statistics and time step size between g 7000&alpha 1, g
70000&alpha 0.1, and g 700000&alpha 0.01. I can further try global
refinement 4 to see but global refinement 3 with quadratic element may be
already enough resolution. Something weird is still happening.

Best,
Shangxin