[aspect-devel] Far different velocity magnitudes & timestep sizes of the same Ra

Timo Heister heister at clemson.edu
Mon Apr 24 08:09:04 PDT 2017

Shangxin,

I looked a little bit more into your example. Some observations:
1. You are using the "simple" model for a nondimensional computation.
It is probably a better idea to use "nondimensional" instead. I will
try to see if that makes a difference.
2. I haven't quite figured out how to quantify "don't make gravity too
large", but as I expected, the difference increases the larger the
gravity is. I think our pressure scaling or linear solver tolerance
needs to take the size of the gravity into account but it currently
doesn't.
3. A finer solver tolerance is likely important (see 2).
4. It looks like the buoyancy term can not be resolved adequately on
the current mesh (if you plot T or rho, you can see that it jumps from
0 to 0.5 within a single cell. See attached.
5. If you plot RMS over time, you can see that the timesteps are quite
large (especially for alpha>0.1). I am not sure if this is connected
to 4) or not.

Anyways, I will get back to you when I figure out more.

http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/