[aspect-devel] Localizing processes on spherical shell models

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Mon Dec 11 20:24:17 PST 2017

Eleonora,

> I am Eleonora, an Italian PhD student. I would like to know some informations
> regarding the coordinate system on a spherical shell model in ASPECT. For
> instance: in a spherical model in which a plate reconstruction model from
> GPlates is implemented, how can I localize subduction zones? Is there a way to
> know the corresponding coordinates for subduction zones that are in my
> spherical shell model at the end of (or during) the run?

Internally, everything in ASPECT works in an x-y-z coordinate system. This is,
of course, not very convenient if you try to match external lat-long-depth
data to the ASPECT coordinate system. But there are functions in ASPECT that
allow you to convert between coordinate systems. I think you should take a
look at the GPlates plugin, for example, to see how it's done there. In
general, take a look at plugins that do something similar to what you want to
do (as well as, of course, the existing cookbooks).

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu