[aspect-devel] Is the correct Boussinesq approximation now the default in ASPECT?

Scott King sdk at vt.edu
Sat Feb 4 06:02:28 PST 2017

Hi,

For what it is worth.  We repeated the 2D cylindrical cases described in the manual as from Davies et al benchmark using the prm files in the distribution.  We should probably try with the bousinessq formulation too, but I suspect it's been tested.   We get the results quoted in the table in the manual with the prm in the distribution.   We still can not reproduce the Zhong et al 3D results.  With the new Bousinesq formulation (below)

subsection Formulation
  set Formulation          = boussinesq approximation # default: custom

we actually get a worse result compared with the Zhong et al results than we did when setting alpha to be a small number and gravity to be Ra*(1/alpha) with custom.   Trick used in Davies et al and Blankenbach et al results.

If someone has made a change since early/mid January, we have not picked that up.

Best,

Scott