[aspect-devel] Boundary Temperature

Juliane Dannberg dannberg at gfz-potsdam.de
Tue Jan 10 09:57:35 PST 2017

Hi Felipe,

the error message basically already tells you what the problem is: There
is no parameter called "prescribed temperature boundary indicators".
What you want to use is "Fixed temperature boundary indicators". This is
a comma separated list of names denoting those boundaries on which the
temperature is fixed and described by the boundary temperature object
selected in its own section of this input file (see manual).

Section "5.1 How to set up computations" in the manual, and some of the
cookbooks, describe how to use this parameter. For your example, if you
want to have a fixed temperature at the top ad bottom of your model, you
would use

subsection Model settings
   set Fixed temperature boundary indicators = bottom, top
end

In addition, in the section of the parameter file where you specify the
boundary temperature model, you have to specify the model that you want
to use (this line is missing in your example). This plugin will then be
used for all of the boundaries you have specified in your list of Fixed
temperature boundary indicators earlier. This could look like this:

subsection Boundary temperature model
   set Model name = function

   subsection Function
     set Variable names      = x,y
     set Function constants  =
     set Function expression = 1500  + 200*exp(-(16/(2.5e11))*(
(x-6e5)^2 + (y-4e5)^2 ))
  end
end

(Note that there's also a ")" missing in your function expression).

Best,
Juliane