[aspect-devel] Velocity boundary conditions - lithosphere ext/compression

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 3 17:22:47 PDT 2017

Hi Philip,

Yes, certainly happy to help on this front! A few things to discuss.

1. Unrelated to your issue, I completely forgot that there is a small
bug with the heat production term in this cookbook that Anne Glerum
pointed out to me a week or two ago. This will cause the crust to cool
more rapidly than it should over time, but it is not readily apparent
over 10's of Myr with advection on. This is unrelated to the anomalous
velocities in your model, but I will push a fix for this this evening or
tomorrow morning. Apologies to all who are currently using the cookbook
example. The quick fix is to change the "Initial concentrations crust"
parameter from 1 to 1e6. Alternatively, the "fix" I'll push tomorrow
will allow you to set different constant heating rates for each
compositional layer (see "compositional heating" method).

2.Onto your issue. I've run a similar extension model (1000 x 600 km)
with similar boundary conditions along the sides (balanced inflow
outflow) and the velocity field was stable over time. Are your
horizontal velocities fluctuating throughout the model or near the
vertical sides?

3. In similar models I used a fixed mesh (no AMR). Have you tried the
model with a fixed mesh? Very likely to be unrelated, but might be worth
using a fixed mesh to see if the error occurs at a similar time and
place in the model.

3. I'm running your parameter file now, but in the meantime can you send
the log.txt file from the output folder?

Regardless of the root issue, we can get this worked out quickly. If the
issue is not readily apparent, we can start from a similar working input
file and compare the differences.

Thanks for sending in this question to the "devel" email list. Really
helpful for others to see where issues are cropping up!

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis