[aspect-devel] ascii data format for "chunk" velocity boundary conditions

John Armitage armitage at ipgp.fr
Tue Jul 4 05:40:09 PDT 2017

Dear all,

I hope this is an easy question: I want to define some simple boundary
conditions to explore the "chunk" geometry. In the "ascii data" examples
for chunk_2d_east.0.txt, the file is,

# Test data for ascii data boundary velocity.
# Only next line is parsed in format: [nradius] because of keyword "POINTS:"
# POINTS: 3
# Columns: radius velocity_x velocity_y
3481000.   0. 0.
4908500.   1. 0.
6336000.   0. 0.

Therefore, does ASPECT expect to read in velocities in Cartesian geometry?
Or is velocity_x and velocity_y just a simple convention for perpendicular
and tangential? x goes to longitude and y goes to radius or visa-versa...

On a more general point, are the governing equations always solved in
Cartesian coordinates, and when we choose a spherical set up gravity simply
points to the origin?

Merci!
John

--