[aspect-devel] Velocity boundary conditions - lithosphere ext/compression

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 5 11:57:03 PDT 2017

Hi Phil,

Great, glad you found the source of the error!

An cookbook discussing lithospheric extension or compression with the
upper mantle would be helpful for a large group of users. Specifically,
the issue of how to setup and maintain adiabatic geotherms is quite
tricky. Some groups have used a high conductivity asthenosphere (myself
included), but the ideal solution is to use adiabatic and shear heating.

For simplicity, let's reserve that conversation for a separate
discussion on this mailing list or an issue on the github page.

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis