[aspect-devel] Temperature mesh refinement criteria

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 7 10:36:33 PDT 2017

Hi Felipe,

The mesh-refinement is based on the temperature gradients (more
specifically, the second derivatives).

 From the original ASPECT paper (Kronbichler et al. 2012, GJI) is the
following statement regarding temperature-based AMR (see section 3.2.1):

"Finally, we dynamically adapt the mesh every few time steps and we need
a criterion to decide which cells to refine or coarsen. Since the
variable that is most indicative of abruptly changing features of the
solution is the temperature, we apply a criterion to the temperature
that is commonly referred to as the ‘Kelly error indicator’ (Gago et al.
1983) and that computes for each cell an approximation of the size of
the second derivatives times the diameter of the cell."

Perhaps some details of the exact approach of have changed since then,
but I believe this is still the general approach for temperature and
most of the other refinement criterion.

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis