[aspect-devel] Temperature mesh refinement criteria

FELIPE ORELLANA ROVIROSA f_orellana at berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 7 00:08:13 PDT 2017

 Hello,

        I am doing 3D convection simulations, and finally I have
implemented temperature- and strain-rate- based mesh refinement criteria. I
tried each one of them and also the merge (hybrid) combination of them.

        After some tests, for my particular problem, I have found better
results with the sole temperature-based mesh refinement criterion. But,
using this sole T-criterion in lieu of an hybrid T-StrRt, suggests optimal
solution of the energy (temperature) equation, and not of the Momentum
equation (which would be taken care by the StrainRate criterion). I now
both equations are coupled, and perhaps more so in my case where my
viscosity is temperature dependent, but I have my queries:

        Is the temperature-based mesh refinement criterion refining the
mesh solely according to the temperature itself?
   or,
        to the temperature and the temperature gradients?

hope you guys can help me,
cheers,
Felipe