[aspect-devel] Handing nodes problem

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Mon May 22 09:21:13 PDT 2017

Hi Philip,

I've applied this type of velocity boundary condition to a continental
extension problem. In a 500 km deep model I had uniform outflow in the
top 100 km (lithosphere), a gradation from outflow to inflow between
100-400 km depth and constant inflow in the bottom 100 km.This was all
done through functions in the parameter file.

The trick typically is to make sure the gradation between in
inflow/outflow is not too sharp, hence why I did it over a few hundred
km. You probably also need to be careful with any variations in grid
resolution.

I believe a few other people have tried something similar with other models.

Let me know if it would be helpful to see the exact function
implementation I used.

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis