[aspect-devel] Dynamic topography

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Thu Oct 19 12:23:46 PDT 2017

As Ian mentioned, unfortunately there is currently no option to do this.

There is an open issue for this fact:
https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/issues/1270, and it is on the list
of things that 'should be done', but never get done, because there are
always more important things to do. If anyone wants to go ahead with
this issue, we would be grateful for it :-).

Best,

Rene

On 10/19/2017 11:18 AM, Ian Rose wrote:
> A bit of context: I agree that the naming of the "topography" and
> "dynamic topography" postprocessors are a bit confusingĀ (the
> distinction is described in the manual, section A.114). They are that
> way largely for historical reasons, as Jacky and I were working on
> those at roughly the same time and did not coordinate naming efforts.
> But yes, what Wolfgang and Timo say is correct: they are measuring
> different things. With a free surface, you expect the dynamic
> topgraphy to be near zero, since we are enforcing no-stress boundary
> conditions there!
>
> As to your other question, Lev: the "topography" postprocessor should
> provide an option to output the full topography, rather than just
> min/max values. It's just that nobody has put in the work to do the
> parallel I/O for it.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian
>

> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Timo Heister <heister at clemson.edu
> <mailto:heister at clemson.edu>> wrote:
>
>     > Or are you saying that the topography you output is due to the moving
>     > boundary? In that case, if the boundary would move in perfect
>     response to
>     > the fluid stress underneath, then the "dynamic topography"
>     computed in each
>     > time step would actually be zero, because there are no excess
>     stresses that
>     > aren't already accommodated by the displaced surface!
>
>     To add to Wolfgang's reply:
>     This is basically how the free surface implementation works, we
>     compute how much fluid wants to move through the surface and move the
>     surface accordingly.
>

>     --
>     Timo Heister
>     http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/