[aspect-devel] Plate motion reconstrucion - Layered rheology

Glerum, A.C. (Anne) A.C.Glerum at uu.nl
Wed Oct 25 16:33:07 PDT 2017

Hi Eleonora,

GPlates files can be used as boundary conditions in ASPECT, see for example Heister et al. 2017 GJI.

There is a section in the manual that describes how to create the GPlates velocity files:
Section 5.3.4 Using reconstructed surface velocities by GPlates

 What I did recently to create a file for present day velocities was:

  1.  (1)  Load the Reconstruction Tree

  2.  (2)  Load the Dynamic Polygons

  3.  (3)  Generate a grid for the velocity output with Features → Generate Velocity Domain Points

  4.  (4)  This will show velocity vectors for the grid points. Export through Reconstruction → Export

I hope that gets you started,
Anne