[aspect-devel] Plate motion reconstrucion - Layered rheology

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Thu Oct 26 09:58:54 PDT 2017

Hi Eleonora,

you stated that

> It seems that the manual doesn't mention the correct way to built the
> velocity/time file.

Could you elaborate on that? What is the error message that you see if
you follow the instructions that Anne send?

If this continues to fail that might mean GPlates has again changed its
data format (they did that once in the past, and we currently support
both formats). If Anne's suggestions do not help, could you send me
which version of ASPECT and GPlates you are using (and ideally also the
plate reconstruction you used if that is possible, though better send
that in a private email off the mailing list)? Then I can try to
reproduce the issue and look for a fix.

Best,

Rene

On 10/25/2017 05:33 PM, Glerum, A.C. (Anne) wrote:
> Hi Eleonora,
>
> GPlates files can be used as boundary conditions in ASPECT, see for
> example Heister et al. 2017 GJI.
>
> There is a section in the manual that describes how to create the
> GPlates velocity files:
> Section 5.3.4 Using reconstructed surface velocities by GPlates
>
>  What I did recently to create a file for present day velocities was:
>
> 1.
>
>     (1)  Load the Reconstruction Tree
>
> 2.
>
>     (2)  Load the Dynamic Polygons
>
> 3.
>
>     (3)  Generate a grid for the velocity output with Features →
>     Generate Velocity Domain Points
>
> 4.
>
>     (4)  This will show velocity vectors for the grid points. Export
>     through Reconstruction → Export
>
> I hope that gets you started,
> Anne
>

>> On 26 Oct 2017, at 08:20, Maxwell Rudolph <maxrudolph at ucdavis.edu
>> <mailto:maxrudolph at ucdavis.edu>> wrote:
>>
>> Eleonora,
>> There is a 'depth dependent' material model that allows you to
>> prescribe a depth-dependent viscosity prefactor to any of the other
>> material models.
>>
>> Max
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Eleonora Ficini
>> <eleonora.ficini at uniroma1.it <mailto:eleonora.ficini at uniroma1.it>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello everyone,
>>     I am a PhD student, I recently started to use ASPECT and I have
>>     two different questions:
>>
>>     1) I would like to know if someone tried to include plate motion
>>     reconstruction (from GPlates) into ASPECT. If yes, what kind of
>>     files does ASPECT need? It seems that the manual doesn't mention
>>     the correct way to built the velocity/time file.
>>
>>     2) In a global spherical model, how is the layered rheological
>>     structure (especially regarding a 100 km thick lithosphere)?
>>
>>     Thank you in advance for your time and attention.
>>
>>     All the best,
>>     Eleonora

Rene Gassmoeller
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~gassmoel/