[aspect-devel] Checkerboard at large scale

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Fri Apr 6 11:07:21 PDT 2018

Hi Lev,

If the boundary conditions conserve mass, then they should also conserve volume. However, as you state you could have a situation where volume is conserved while mass is not conserved if the density along the boundaries are different.

I suspect this is the issue, as using a free surface (verse free-surface) top boundary apparently ‘fixes’ (or improves) the model behavior. This makes sense as deformation of the top boundary can account for the ‘mass imbalance’ introduced by the velocity boundary conditions.

If you want to use a free-slip top boundary, you should use velocity boundary conditions that conserve mass. As Juliane mentioned, you can see the mass flux through each boundary with one of the post processors.

My suggestion would still be to start with an isothermal and isoviscous model. With this setup, your density field should only contain variations related to composition and you can do one time-step (only need 1 non-linear iteration) to quickly check whether your boundary conditions are conserving mass via the post-processors.

Once your setup ‘works', then start systematically starting adding complexity back in. If it was me, I would also start by using a uniform mesh and even turn off gravity.

If you don’t want to alter the velocity boundary conditions on the side, you could simply add inflow or outflow along the model base to account for the mass flux difference.

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions or other issues pop up along the way.

Juliane/Rene/Wolfgang/Timo/etc - I believe this points back to the issue discussed here: https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/issues/1872 <https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/issues/1872>

Perhaps this is something to revisit at the Hack or sooner? If the composition along the side boundaries varies with time, it may be difficult to enforce mass conversation with a free surface. The suggestion to modify the boundary conditions slightly to account for the mass flux imbalance seems like a the easiest solution.

Cheers,
John