[aspect-devel] Checkerboard at large scale

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Wed Apr 11 18:35:15 PDT 2018

On 04/11/2018 07:04 PM, Lev Karatun wrote:

> just wanted to let you know, it seems I did have a slight imbalance in the
> boundary velocity, and after fixing it (and making net volume flux equal to
> zero) the solver successfully converged with constant mesh. It still chokes
> when I enable AMR, so I'll keep the free surface enabled as you suggested.

Nice! It's good to know that our collective hunch was correct.

Solving these sorts of issues is hard. It requires intuition for where to look
and what the problem could be. It's good to know that collectively, we have
this sort of intuition. It's also good to know that we can have trust in the
correctness of the algorithms implemented and do not always have to assume
first that there is a bug in the code.

Thanks for walking through this process with us!

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu