[aspect-devel] subduction and magmatism

Juliane Dannberg judannberg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:58:31 PDT 2018

Dear Nikola,

it is certainly possible to model geodynamic processes in the
lithosphere with ASPECT, and a lot of the current development goes in
this direction.
I don't have much experience with subduction models, but Anne Glerum's
models would certainly be a good starting point.

For melting in subduction zones, the question would be how exactly you
want to deal with the magmatism. Do you just want to know how much melt
is generated, but without any active influence on the model evolution?
Or do you want to model two-phase flow, where the melt flows with a
different velocity than the solid? And, if it is the latter, how do you
want to deal with fluids/dehydration of the slab (do you want to model
water etc. as a separate phase, or composition of the different phases)?

I think all of those models would require modifying the code to a
certain degree. While ASPECT includes a number of simple melting
parameterizations, at the moment, there is no model for hydrous melting.
So depending on how you want to treat the melt, you would have to extend
one of the existing melting parameterizations (for example, ASPECT has
the anhydrous melting parametrization from Katz et al., 2003, so it
should be straightforward to modify it so that it also includes the
hydrous melting described in Katz et al., 2003), or add a new one. You
could then simply track the water content as a compositional field in
the model, and compute the amount of melt that is generated for each
given temperature and pressure. So if this is all you want to look at, I
feel this should be easy to do.

If you also want to track the migration of melt, I think this would be
more difficult, as this would probably require tracking the composition
(and water content) of the melt, and you would also need a hydrous
melting model that gives you some sort of partitioning for the water
content and the rest of the composition (so, for a certain pressure,
temperature and bulk composition, what is the equilibrium melt fraction,
what is the composition of the solid, what is the composition of the
melt). Tracking the melt composition is something that we plan to
include in ASPECT in the near future, but it is not in the current
development version. However, we're working on that, and if you're
interested in something like this and want to help implementing it, we
can certainly think about what exactly you need and how to add this to
ASPECT together. Finally, if you plan to include brittle deformation in
your model, and also want to model two-phase flow at the same time, this
would be a very difficult problem (in general, not just in ASPECT). We
are working on material descriptions in ASPECT that allow this kind of
model, but it needs a lot of testing and there are many numerical
difficulties involved.

So I guess what I am saying is, you can certainly use ASPECT to model
subduction, magmatism and deformation of the lithosphere. You should
just be aware that depending on how complex you want your models to be,
it would require modifying the code. And we are of course happy to help
with any questions that might come up.

I hope that helps!

Best,
Juliane