[aspect-devel] Postprocessing scripts

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Sat Aug 4 21:31:51 PDT 2018

Hi Max,

I think having a collection of ASPECT processing scripts in a great idea. In addition to Matlab and Python, I’ve heard periodic interest in providing example GMT scripts as well.

However, unless the post-processing scripts are somehow integrated with the tester I’m not sure if the ASPECT repository is the right place (or perhaps it is).

Either way, this seems like a great topic for the ASPECT online community meeting next Wednesday. Thanks for bringing this up!

Cheers,
John

> On Aug 4, 2018, at 11:10 AM, Max Rudolph <maxrudolph at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>
> At CIDER last month, several of us were discussing how we postprocess output from ASPECT to make figures or calculate derived scalar and vector quantities. While some postprocessing tasks are commonly used and warrant the development of postprocessor modules, it seems that many are not, and it might be worth including some functions to read aspect output files to minimize the time invested by various users in developing more specialized postprocessing scripts on their own. For instance, we have scripts to read aspect output from 3D spherical geometry calculations in vtk or h5 format and convert to lat/lon/depth grids in vtk format, etc. Would the aspect developers be interested in including a collection of postprocessing scripts in matlab and python within the main aspect repository?
>
> Max

John Naliboff
Assistant Research Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis