[aspect-devel] Internal heating in aspect (Ludovic Jeanniot)

Max Rudolph maxrudolph at ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 28 16:33:01 PDT 2018

Here are a pair of figures showing the artificial viscosity and the
temperature field using the default stabilization parameters for a thermal
convection problem (first figure) and for a conduction problem (second
figure). If I am reading the source correctly, the artificial viscosity has
the same units as thermal conductivity since they are added on line 177 in
simulator/assemblers/advection.cc. From this, it is very obvious why the
solution to the convection problem at low resolution is very diffusive and
also why the interior temperature is much closer to the surface temperature
than to the CMB temperature because the artificial viscosity is on the
order of 20 times larger than the thermal conductivity near the surface.
Near the CMB, the artificial viscosity can also become comparable to the
physical thermal conductivity. Given this, it is unsurprising that the
results appear far more diffusive than we should expect. For the conduction
problem, the default values of the artificial viscosity are also much
larger than the thermal conductivity.

Max

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]