[aspect-devel] Internal heating in aspect (Ludovic Jeanniot)

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Tue Aug 28 20:01:17 PDT 2018

On 08/28/2018 05:33 PM, Max Rudolph wrote:
>  From this, it is very obvious why the solution to the convection problem at
> low resolution is very diffusive and also why the interior temperature is much
> closer to the surface temperature than to the CMB temperature because the
> artificial viscosity is on the order of 20 times larger than the thermal
> conductivity near the surface.

Would it be easy to verify whether the artificial viscosity ("artificial
conductivity") decreases at the expected rate with mesh refinement?

> For the conduction problem, the default values of the artificial viscosity are
> also much larger than the thermal conductivity.

I think that's the point worth investigating. Since in this case the velocity
is zero, one would expect the artificial viscosity to also be at least quite
small. Why is it not?

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu