[aspect-devel] Internal heating in aspect (Ludovic Jeanniot)

Juliane Dannberg judannberg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 00:13:58 PDT 2018

Hi Max,

>> I suggested that perhaps the SUPG approach used in venerable mantle
>> convection codes like CitcomS and ConMan could be superior because
>> the artificial diffusion acts along streamlines.
>
> I think this would be interesting. I thought I recalled that Timo's
> student had implemented this in ASPECT, but one of his later emails
> suggests that that is not the case. It should not be terribly
> difficult to add, though.
I checked that yesterday, and Timo's student Ryan tested this about
three years ago, but we never merged it into ASPECT.
However, the original pull request with the test results still exists:
https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/pull/412. So we can look into this
and see how much work it would be to rebase it to the current master and
test it against our current approach.

Best,
Juliane

Juliane Dannberg