[aspect-devel] ASPECT Data to ASCII file

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Tue Jan 16 02:16:51 PST 2018

Just noticed that I did not reply to the mailing list yesterday, but
only in person:

Hi Eleonora,

Could you post where you found this in the manual? It might be a
mistake, as I do not think there is a 'txt' output format available.
Here is the (currently unfortunately not documented, see
https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/issues/2055) list of output formats:

"none|dx|ucd|gnuplot|povray|eps|gmv|tecplot|tecplot_binary|vtk|vtu|hdf5|svg|deal.II
intermediate"

vtu and hdf5 support parallel and compressed writing so they are most
useful for large models, but you can choose any of the other (vtk and
gnuplot are text files in specific formats). Though the easiest might be
to use Paraview's "Save data" option, which can write the currently
loaded data into a .csv file that can be read by editors, or most
spreadsheet software (Calc, Excel, ...).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Rene

On 01/15/2018 11:21 AM, Eleonora Ficini wrote:
> Dear all,
> I need to export ASPECT data in an XYZ ascii file.
>
> I read on the manual that this could be done writing “txt" in the “Output format” (Visualization subsection), but when I try to do this ASPECT send me an error ( specifically, the txt format is not available).
> What could I do to have this kind of file?
>
> Thank you in advance for you attention and help!
>
> All the best,
> Eleonora Ficini

Rene Gassmoeller
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~gassmoel/