[aspect-devel] Checkerboard at large scale

Lev Karatun lev.karatun at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 19:05:18 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I was trying to run some 3-D compression models, but all I'm getting is a
checkerboard pattern (see screenshot attached). Boundary conditions are as
follows:
left, right walls: influx through the top half, outflux through bottom.
all other walls: free slip.
I tried increasing the resolution but it didn't help. I also thought about
decreasing the CFL number but the instability happens at the first
timestep, so it doesn't seem relevant. I was wondering if someone faced a
similar problem in their research? What did you do to overcome it?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lev Karatun.