[aspect-devel] Aspect 2.0 tests failure question

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Thu May 10 23:50:03 PDT 2018

Ravi,

> I ran Aspect (2.0 pre) tests with "make setup_tests", and "make test" from the
> Aspect root install directory (location of the shared executable).  Based on
> the (attached) summary screen output from the tests, I see that 194/558 (or
> nearly 35%) tests failed.

That is a pretty normal number. It is because every compiler and processor
produces results that differ very slightly. ASPECT stores "correct" output in
the tests/<TESTNAME>/ directories (corresponding to the tests/<TESTNAME>.prm
file) and after running the ASPECT executable on the .prm file, simply does a
diff between your output and the stored one.

If you want to see the differences, do something like
   ctest -V -R <TESTNAME>
and it will give you an idea how these differences look like -- generally,
they should be in the 6th or 7th digit of all outputs.

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu