[aspect-devel] Implementing a composite medium

FELIPE ORELLANA ROVIROSA f_orellana at berkeley.edu
Tue May 22 11:17:06 PDT 2018

 Hi all,

         I am trying to implement a layered medium in which the material
properties are composition- and temperature-dependent. More precisely, I
need the viscosities and mass-densities to vary by layer (somehow by
pressure-composition) and by temperature.

         I tried doing this using the depth-dependent model, and the depth
dependence method = List, which only allows for viscosity layering; and as
a base model using the simple model, on which I specified density
differentials for compositional fields.

          The model run for hours, no problem. When plotting the results on
Paraview, plotting the density field, I realized that the model had NOT
incorporated the density layering. More so, the system evolution was
basically the same as in previous models I had, which consisted in
temperature- and composition-dependent viscosity, but temperature-dependent
density only.
          Somehow, the depth-dependence List is for viscosities only (as
the manual reads), but the material model Simple allows for compositional
fields with compositional densities.. But the whole set didn't work as
expected..

           Would the 'multicomponent' model allow all these variations?

           I keep reading the manual but I cannot find the proper way to
organize the code syntax, a parameter file implementation that properly
handles temperature- and composition-dependent densities and viscosities.

           I would appreciate some directions,

cheers,

Felipe