[aspect-devel] Implementing a composite medium

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 22 13:58:10 PDT 2018

Hi Felipe,

I'm not sure I fully understand what features you would like in your
model. When you say you "need the viscosities and mass-densities to vary
by layer", do you mean that the viscosities and mass-densities should
change at a fixed depth, as a function of composition (ex: whether or
not a compositional field is present --> interface evolves through time)
or a combination of these two types of behaviors?

The multicomponent material model allows you to specify different
properties (reference density, viscosity, etc) for different
compositional fields, but the properties are constant through time
(e.g., not pressure or temperature-dependent viscosity, etc).

Other material models that use compositional fields ('diffusion
dislocation' or even 'simple') have more complicated viscous flow laws.
You can combine either of these with the 'depth dependent' material
model, which simply modifies the viscosity as a function of depth
(user-specified) after the viscosity in the other material models has
been computed.

Cheers,
John