[aspect-devel] Evenly spaced vectors, dynamic pressure

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Thu Sep 6 20:20:50 PDT 2018

On 09/06/2018 01:25 PM, Adam Holt wrote:
> Second, I am interested in the dynamic pressure field and wondered how best
> to retrieve it from my (incompressible) models. For such models, I assume
> it can be computed by subtracting the horizontally-constant static pressure
> from the pressure outputted (the 'nonadiabatic pressure' output variable).

I think that the "nonadiabatic pressure" is exactly the "dynamic pressure" you
want: it's the total pressure minus the adiabatic pressure. So there isn't a
need to write anything new, you just need to specify "nonadiabatic pressure"
in the list of visualization variables.

Though it is true that the adiabatic pressure is only computed once at the
beginning of a simulation, and is not equal to the horizontally averaged
pressure. There are, in other words, multiple ways to define a "dynamic
pressure", and you need to specify which one exactly you want in order to
figure out whether there is already an existing visualization postprocessor.

Cheers

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu