[aspect-devel] Evenly spaced vectors, dynamic pressure

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Fri Sep 7 15:50:15 PDT 2018

Hi Adam,

If your nonadiabatic pressure is dominated by a 1D trend that likely
means the reference profile that is computed by ASPECT in the
initialization is not quite consistent with the actual pressure solution
in your model. You can control the reference profile that is computed by
setting the following parameters in the parameter file:

set Surface pressure = 0
set Adiabatic surface temperature = 0 (change to whatever temperature
you use as reference temperature in the material model)

That might not totally eliminate the deviation between reference profile
and hydrostatic pressure, but it should help a great deal.

Best,

Rene

On 09/07/2018 10:42 AM, Adam Holt wrote:
> Thanks much for the explanation! I'm interested in the component of the pressure that drives flow, so yes it sounds like this "nonadiabatic pressure". (For my incompressible models, I'm assuming this is just total minus hydrostatic pressure.)
>
> I was confused because the "nonadiabatic pressure" output is dominated by a depth-dependent 1-D trend.  I'm assuming this is a numerical/normalization thing, and I just need to remove the horizontal average at all depths.
>
> many thanks,
> Adam

Rene Gassmoeller
https://gassmoeller.github.io/