[aspect-devel] Writing a plugin for a new data format/source

James Gallagher jgallagher at opendap.org
Thu Sep 20 08:28:48 PDT 2018

Hello,

We working on a NSF-funded project (BALTO) to develop a ‘data broker’ and our PI uses Aspect in her work,, which serves as one of the use-cases for the project. We would like guidance on developing an Aspect plugin to read data not from a local ASCII file, but from a (remote) web service.

If a new plugin is not the best way forward, what would be the best way to extend Aspect so that it could read other data formats and/or data sources (i.e., from remote web services and not local files)?

We have experience in C++ and use OSX and Linux as our primary development platforms. See www.opendap.org. Our data server (which is being used for this brokering project) is written in C++ and Java and is available on GitHub (github.com/opendap). Incidentally, the server, like Aspect, makes extensive use of plugins written in C++.

If there’s a better contact point than this list, please let me know.

Thanks,
James
--
James Gallagher