[CIG-ALL] Encouragement to participate in survey

Mike Gurnis gurnis at gps.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 31 07:55:05 PST 2006

Dear Colleague,

I want to echo Peter Olson's e-mail for you to participate in the
computing needs survey. We have received a good response so far,
but an even better response will help the Science Steering Committee
communicate the overall needs & perspective of our community to the NSF.

In light of the potentially large allocation of funds that may be
made for
a Geoscience Peta-scale facility, I personally would like to encourage
your participation. It only takes a few minutes -- it's multiple choice!

Gradute students and post docs are encouraged to participate as well.

The survey can be found at:

http://www.geodynamics.org:8080/cig/priorities/cs-needs-survey

Thanks to all of you who have participated so far!

Mike Gurnis

Peter Olson's message:

Dear Members of the CIG Community,

You may have heard that the National Science Foundation is considering
developing a national geosciences computational facility that will have
sustained petaflops performance.

In light of this, the CIG Science Steering Committee (SSC) is seeking to
determine the computational needs of our community. Our initial survey
issued a few weeks ago elicited only a limited response. Now we have
posted
a new survey at

http://www.geodynamics.org:8080/cig/priorities/cs-needs-survey

asking critical questions that we think are essential in formulating a
response to the NSF. This new survey is multiple choice and will take
only a
few minutes of your time.  Please (!!!) assist us in this effort, by
visiting the above URL and participating in the survey.

Sincerely,

Peter Olson
Chairman of the CIG Science Steering Committee