[CIG-ALL] Release of SPECFEM3D_GLOBE V4.0

Donna Mireles donnam at gps.caltech.edu
Thu Feb 14 16:56:50 PST 2008

Dear SPECFEM3D user:

We are pleased to announce the release of version 4.0 of the global
seismic wave propagation package SPECFEM3D_GLOBE. This new release
involves major improvements to the mesh. Using a new doubling brick, the
mesh is now more accurate (in particular in the upper and mid-mantle)
and also perfectly load-balanced when running on a parallel computer,
and therefore the package should scale very well all the way up to the
petascale. A very large number of CPUs can now be used. Most 1D Earth
models are available (PREM, IASP91, 1066A, AK135, and REF), and in
addition to 3D model S20RTS (Ritsema et al. 1999) we now also
accommodate model S362ANI (Kustowski et al. 2006). The package continues
to accommodate 3D attenuation, 3D anisotropy, kinematic sources, and has
adjoint and movie capabilities. In addition, information and scripts
related to post-processing of data and synthetics are provided.

The package is now fully open source and released under version 2 of the
GNU General Public License.

Various benchmarks of the code against
elastic/anelastic/isotropic/transversely isotropic normal-mode
synthetics down to periods of 9 s are presented in the manual, and
additional tests are available in an EXAMPLES directory.

The new release may be obtained through the Computational Infrastructure
for Geodynamics (CIG) website:

http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/seismo/specfem3d-globe

A detailed manual for V4.0 may be downloaded here (or found in directory
USER_MANUAL):

http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/seismo/specfem3d-globe/manual_SPECFEM3D_GLOBE.pdf

Please e-mail your feedback, questions, comments, suggestions and bug
reports to the CIG Computational Seismology mailing list
(cig-seismo at geodynamics.org).

We thank all the other developers who have contributed to the
development of the source code or the manual, in alphabetical order: Min
Chen, Vala Hjörleifsdóttir, Sue Kientz, Nicolas Le Goff, Alessia Maggi,
Brian Savage, Bernhard Schuberth, Anne Sieminski, Leif Strand, Carl Tape
and Peter van Keken.

Best regards,

Dimitri Komatitsch, David Michéa, Qinya Liu and Jeroen Tromp