[CIG-ALL] CIG NEWSLETTER - NOVEMBER 2011 - AGU/CIG BUSINESS MEETING

Ariel Shoresh ariel at geodynamics.org
Fri Nov 18 10:40:42 PST 2011

CIG Newsletter for November 2011

AGU – CIG BUSINESS MEETING - DECEMBER 6, 2011
AGU – CIG BOOTH AT NSF STREET – REQUEST FOR VOLUNTEERS - DECEMBER 6-9
ELECTION RESULTS - SEPTEMBER ELECTION
UPDATE TO BYLAWS - DECEMBER VOTE
PYLITH RELEASE 1.6.2  - IMPORTANT BUG FIX - NOV 10, 2011 RELEASE.

AGU – CIG BUSINESS MEETING

Please join us at the AGU Fall Meeting for the annual CIG Business Meeting,
being held in the Market Room, December 6th, at the Parc 55 Hotel, 3rd
Floor, 55 Cyril
Magnin Street, San Francisco.

As in previous years, we will open with a reception with light refreshments
from 6 to 6:30 pm, followed by the Business Meeting from 6:30 to 8:30pm.

We hope to see many of you there! If there are items you’d like to raise,
please send me an email at ariel at geodynmics.org, and I will send it on to
the meeting committee.

AGU – CIG BOOTH AT NSF STREET – REQUEST FOR VOLUNTEERS

The National Science Foundation has asked CIG to participate in the NSF
Street Booth Fair.  We have put together a spreadsheet to help staff the
booth, as well as for “presentation” slots – virtual or in person,
should you wish to show your most recent CIG-related work to get more
engagement with the Community.  Please view the slots here – and let me
know if you would like to participate, with the slot time, your
presentation title, and the file. (Poster is fine, we will have a large TV
that can show a ‘virtual poster’ for the time period as well).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsHOnhMW-_NrdDNFS1VXdFRiVGRSM19zWXpGZUs2R0E

We will be located at booth 1127.

ELECTION RESULTS

CIG would like to announce the most recent election results for the
Executive Committee and Science Steering Committee.

For the EC, we would like to thank Bill Appelbe for his service to the
Committee, and welcome Wolfgang Bangerth. He joins Marc Parmentier, Gary
Glatzmaier, Matt Knepley and Mousumi Roy.

For the SSC, we would like to thank  Wolfgang Bangerth, Luc Lavier,  Andy
Freed, and Vernon Cormier.  They join Marc Spiegelman, Magali Billen,
Garrett Ito, Nadia Lapusta and Peter Van Keken.

We’d also like to thank those who agreed to have their names to be
considered for the election: Vernon Cormier, Clint Dawson, Omar Ghattas,
Jolante van Wijk, and Keke Zhang.

UPDATE TO BYLAWS

The Executive Committee has been reviewing the current Bylaws of CIG, and
updating them to reflect the new center at Davis. The Member Institutions
of CIG have been sent copies of both the original and updated bylaws, and
will be commencing voting on accepting changes as of December 9th, for a
ratification in early January.

We have posted the ByLaws online at the CIG site, so that interested
parties may view the changes.  If you belong to an Institutional Member of
CIG, and would like to make comments, please go to the CIG Membership
Information webpage to find your particular representative.

http://geodynamics.org/cig/community/institution

http://geodynamics.org/cig/community/documents/Bylaws2011

PYLITH RELEASE 1.6.2  (Nov 10, 2011)

The Pylith Team is pleased to announce the bugfix release of PyLith 1.6.2,
a finite-element code designed to solve dynamic elastic problems and
quasi-static viscoelastic problems in tectonic deformation.

This release fixes several bugs in PyLith v1.6.1. We **strongly** recommend
all users of previous PyLith releases switch to this latest release,
especially anyone running in parallel or using fault friction.  You can
download the source code and binaries from

http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/short/pylith

--
Ariel Shoresh
Administrator, Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics
ariel at geodynamics.org