[CIG-ALL] Early-Use Opportunities for the Geosciences on NCAR's Yellowstone System, Due January 13, 2012

Louise Kellogg kellogg at ucdavis.edu
Tue Nov 22 06:35:53 PST 2011

Dear CIG Community:

See below for a new opportunity for supercomputing resources for the geosciences.

Best wishes,

Louise

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Robin Reichlin <rreichli at nsf.gov>
> Date: November 22, 2011 5:43:50 AM PST
> To: Louise Kellogg <kellogg at ucdavis.edu>
> Cc: Ariel Shoresh <ariel at geodynamics.org>
> Subject: Fwd: Early-Use Opportunities for the Geosciences on NCAR's Yellowstone System, Due January 13, 2012
>
> Dear Louise,
>
> Could you distribute this information to CIG users? This is an opportunity to get access to supercomputing facilities for any geoscience application.
>
> Robin
>

>>> From: "Ruth, Sarah L" <sruth at nsf.gov>
>>> Date: November 21, 2011 4:39:49 PM EST
>>> To: "GEO Program Officers" <geo-po at nsf.gov>
>>> Subject: Early-Use Opportunities for the Geosciences on NCAR's Yellowstone System, Due January 13, 2012
>>>
>>> Everyone,
>>>
>>> Please see the notice below, which announces the NCAR Accelerated Scientific Discovery opportunity on the new NCAR-Wyoming Supercomputer Center (NWSC). This will make the new NWSC supercomputing facilities (the 1.6-petaflops ‘Yellowstone’ system) available to a small group of early users from May 2012, prior to their becoming more generally available later in the summer. The deadline for submissions is January 13th, 2012.
>>>
>>> The announcement has been revised to include university-led projects in any geosciences domain that meet the eligibility criteria. It has been circulated to NCAR’s mailing list of approximately 3,000 users, mostly in the atmospheric and related sciences. Please feel free to pass it on to anyone else in your community who may be interested.
>>>
>>> Sarah
>>>
>>> Sarah Ruth, DPhil
>>> Program Coordinator
>>> NCAR and Facilities Section
>>> Division of Atmospheric and Geospace Sciences
>>> National Science Foundation
>>> 4201 Wilson Boulevard
>>> Arlington
>>> VA 22230
>>>

>>> From: dhart at ucar.edu (David Hart)
>>> Date: November 21, 2011 1:23:50 PM MST
>>> To: ncar-users at ucar.edu (NCAR Users)
>>> Subject: UPDATE: Early-Use Opportunities for the Geosciences on NCAR's Yellowstone System, Due January 13, 2012
>>>

>>> UPDATE: We're resending this announcement to highlight a clarification to the ASD eligibility requirements posted online. Eligible projects may span all of the geosciences and supporting computational sciences.
>>>
>>> CISL is pleased to announce the availability of dedicated, large-scale resources on NCAR's recently announced Yellowstone system from approximately May through July 2012 as part of its Accelerated Scientific Discovery (ASD) initiative for university and NCAR research.
>>>
>>> NSF-supported university researchers interested in applying for ASD computational resources can view eligibility and proposal requirements at: https://www2.cisl.ucar.edu/docs/allocations/asd. Applications are due January 13, 2012.

> [...]

Louise Kellogg
Professor, Department of Geology
Director, Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics
One Shields Avenue, University of California, Davis, CA 95616
Phone: (530)752-3690
http://www.geodynamics.org
http://www.keckcaves.org