[CIG-ALL] EGU Special Session - Global Tectonics

Lorraine Hwang ljhwang at ucdavis.edu
Thu Dec 18 21:55:13 PST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Dietmar Muller, Jason Morgan and I would like to draw your attention to our session at the forthcoming EGU meeting which is entitled "Global Tectonics 2.0” and includes the TS division Stephan Mueller lecture by Evgene Burov.  The session will focus on advances in our understanding of the dynamics of large-scale plate processes in the widest possible sense. We are happy that Nicolas Coltice and Paul Tackley have agreed to give invited talks in this session. We would like to encourage you to consider submitting an abstract to our session and would remind you that the abstract deadline is January 7, 2015

Louis Moresi
Dietmar Muller
Jason Morgan

TS7.2/GD5.10 Global Tectonics 2.0

Convener: Louis Moresi
Co-Conveners: R. Dietmar Müller, Jason Morgan
The theory of plate tectonics revolutionised our capacity to systematise data in the geosciences, providing a framework for extending near-surface data in space and time. Fifty years on, the revolution has stalled — a theory which was devised for the oceanic lithosphere does not directly speak to continental deformation and nor does it directly address the deep earth circulation or the ancient earth. The missing component of plate tectonics is a truly predictive dynamic model of global motions, which can tie together deep circulation and continental motion. Although such models are a grand challenge for the community as a whole, small components of this overall picture have been falling into place in the past few years. Elements of such progress include: the capacity to introduce localisation into fluid dynamics models, capturing continental deformation and the connection to the sedimentary record, building global tectonic models with increasing regional detail, including plate deformation, visco-elastic-plastic rheologies with volume/thermal stresses, and linking surface geochronology data to deep-seated geodynamics. The capacity to undertake grand challenge modelling requires genuine cross-disciplinary innovation, engaging with an explosion of data, and working more effectively in the computational mathematical domain as well as in solid earth geophysics. We welcome contributions that address any aspects of data and computational intensive models of geological processes at the plate scale including observations at all scales, and methodological advances.