[CIG-ALL] AGU session announcement - slow slip and transitional regions

Noel Bartlow nbartlow at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 15 13:04:33 PDT 2015

For investigators working on slow slip or transitional regions of faults, please consider submitting an abstract to our AGU session:

Session S001: Advances in understanding slow slip and transitional regions
Slow, aseismic slip provides insight into areas of faults where frictional properties transition from unstable stick-slip behavior to stable sliding. Yet our current understanding of the mechanics of slow slip events cannot explain either their broad diversity, both temporal, ranging from days to years, and spatial, or their implications for earthquake hazards. Additionally, slow slip events often exhibit complex interactions with tectonic tremor or earthquake swarms. Slow slip events also load their surrounding environment, including locked seismic faults, and recent evidence suggests that some large earthquakes were preceded by slow slip signals, indicating possible forecasting applications. This session welcomes studies of slow slip observations, including interactions between aseismic slip, tremor, and earthquakes. We also welcome studies of the mechanical properties or physics of slow slip areas, including modeling and laboratory work. In addition, studies relating slow slip processes to seismic hazards are welcomed.
This session is a co-organized session between Seismology, Geodesy, and Tectonophysics.

Noel Bartlow
Miles Postdoctoral Fellow
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
University of California, San Diego