[CIG-ALL] 2015-2016 CIG Webinar Series

Lorraine Hwang lorraine.hwang at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 10:26:45 PDT 2015

Dear CIG Community:

Welcome to the 2015-2016 CIG Webinar series. We have a full line-up of exciting speakers this year.  We begin this Fall 2015 by introducing the community to several new codes in mineral physics (Burnman), wave propagation (SW4), and short term crustal dynamics (Virtual Quake) that have recently joined the CIG open source community. These webinars will be a great opportunity to obtain an overview of the software package and its capabilities directly from the developers.

Winter 2016 launches a series of talks on topic that is frequently highlighted as a topic of interest - uncertainty quantification or UQ.  We are very  fortunate to have several leaders in this field speaking on verification, validation, and UQ methods both in general and as applied to earth systems.  This will be a great opportunity for community members to get up to speed on this topic as well as provoke some stimulating conversations.
2015- 2016 Webinar Schedule

	October 8 -  Sanne Cottaar, Timo Heister, Bob Myhill, Ian Rose, and Cayman Unterborn, An introduction to BurnMan - a mineral physics toolkit
	November 12 – Anders Petersson, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, SW4
	December 3 - Kasey Schultz & Mark Yoder, UC Davis, Virtual California
	January 14 - William Oberkampf, Oberkampf Consulting
	February 11– Habib Najm, Sandia National Laboratory
	March 10 – Anna Michalak, Carnegie Institution for Science
	April 14 – Noemi Petra, UC Merced
	May 12  - Andreas Fichtner, ETH, Resolution analysis by random probing

Our first talk will be Thursday October 8 @ 2pm PT and features the developers of the mineral physics toolkit Burnman:
An introduction to BurnMan - a mineral physics toolkit

Sanne Cottar, Ph.D., University of Cambridge; Professor Timo Heister, Clemson University; Bob Myhill, Ph.D., University of Bayreuth; Ian Rose, University of California, Berkeley; and Cayman Unterborn, Ohio State University

In this webinar we will introduce the extensible, open source mineral physics toolkit BurnMan. This software allows the user to calculate the elastic and thermodynamic properties of rocks, minerals, fluids and melts based on the properties of end-member phases. BurnMan is bundled with several end-member and solid solution databases, but users can also create their own, by fitting their data to a wide variety of different equations of state and solution models. BurnMan can then be used to calculate mineral equilibria, chemical potentials and seismic properties of minerals and rocks as a function of pressure, temperature and bulk composition. Seismic velocity profiles computed by BurnMan can be quantitatively or visually compared to observed seismic velocities. In the webinar we will demonstrate the various features by going through example scripts.

You may join all webinars via Adobe Connect here <https://uc-d.adobeconnect.com/_a841422360/r28i3av93ti/>. Webinars are recorded and uploaded to our YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/user/CIGeodynamics> channel.  Please remember to check your connection prior to the webinar.

Full information about the CIG Webinar Series can be found on our website at: https://geodynamics.org/cig/events/webinars/ <https://geodynamics.org/cig/events/webinars/>
Best,
Lorraine

Lorraine Hwang, PhD