[CIG-ALL] AGU 2016 session on "Bridging tectonics and earthquake cycles"

van Dinther Ylona ylona.vandinther at erdw.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 12 09:09:53 PDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to the 2016 AGU Fall Meeting session on Bridging tectonics and earthquake cycles.

Session Description:
Long-term tectonic processes shape the bulk of conditions under which faults operate and thereby influence earthquake processes on short time scales. In turn, rupture processes locally reduce the strength of the brittle lithosphere and thereby affect long-term processes. Reconciling observations of mechanisms taking place across these different time and spatial scales will improve our understanding of the rheology of the lithosphere-asthenosphere system and may ultimately improve seismic hazard assessment. What are the driving forces and the rheological structure at plate boundaries? What are the relative contributions of rheology (temperature, fluids, chemistry) and geometry in the segmentation of fault ruptures? What are the roles of faulting and off-fault deformation in shaping the landscape and partitioning seismic and aseismic energy dissipation? We seek contributions from across the fields of geology, geodynamics, seismology, and geodesy involving both modeling and observational studies.

Invited speakers:
Yehuda Ben-Zion
Kelin Wang

You can submit your abstract before August 3rd at https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session14014 .