[CIG-ALL] AGU Geodesy/Tectonophysics Session: Time-dependent deformation in geodetic data: advances in detection, modeling and interpretation

Chris Rollins jcrollin at caltech.edu
Tue Jul 12 10:03:52 PDT 2016

Hi all,

We would like to invite those interested to attend and submit abstracts to
a session we are running in the Geodesy and Tectonophysics sections at
this year's AGU Fall Meeting, "Time-dependent deformation in geodetic
data: advances in detection, modeling and interpretation," session G024
(ID# 13407).

Session Description:
Today space geodesy provides unprecedented coverage of the Earth's surface
and can detect time-dependent deformation on time scales ranging from
seconds to decades and over length scales ranging from meters to plate
boundaries. The accurate detection of these deformation signals, in
concert with accurate modelling of the processes that drive them, is of
vital importance in topics ranging from studies of the seismic cycle and
volcanism to the understanding of natural and anthropogenic hydrological
processes. We welcome contributions on both the theoretical side -
advances in algorithms for the detection of time-dependent signals in
geodetic data and in the modelling of deformation processes - and on the
applied side - uses of these techniques to gain insights into deformation
processes in both tectonic and non-tectonic contexts - with the goal that
the space geodesist can find the best practices for every step of a
research project within a single session.

Conveners:
Chris Rollins, Caltech
Adriano Gualandi, Caltech
Jessica Murray, USGS Menlo Park
Mong-Han Huang, NASA JPL

As a heads up, those interested in our session will likely also be
interested in the session being run by Matt King and Alvaro
Santamaria-Gomez, "Separating and explaining multiple signals in geodetic
data," session G021 (ID# 12290). Regardless of which session you choose to
present in, we hope that those interested will attend both sessions, as
this essentially doubles the amount of time to exchange ideas and best
practices in this discipline.

Feel free to send any questions or comments my way at
jcrollin at caltech.edu, and we hope to see you there! As a reminder, the
abstract submission deadline is 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on August
3.

Thanks,
Chris