[CIG-ALL] CIG WEBINAR: TOMORROW @2pm Software Best Practices

Lorraine Hwang ljhwang at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 12 15:20:01 PDT 2016

Dear Community

Don’t miss tomorrow’s kick off Webinar.  2016-2017 will have more emphasis on software and take a deeper dive into features of our post popular software packages. On Thursday October 13, 2016 we are very fortunate to have Anshu Dubey, from Argonne National Laboratory:

Software Practices in Computational Science Communities – an Overview
Scientific code developers typically adopt software processes derived from the mainstream (non-scientific) community when continuing without them becomes impractical. However, many software best practices need modification and/or customization, partly because the codes are used for research and exploration, and partly because of the combined funding and sociological challenges. This webinar will describe the lifecycle of scientific software and important ways in which it differs from other software development.  We will provide a compilation of software engineering best practices that have generally been found to be useful by science communities, and how they are evolving as the needs of their communities grow.

Looking forward to seeing you online and at our Annual Business Meeting @AGU on Monday, December 12 @ 6pm at the Intercontinental (right around the corner from Moscone West).

Please remember to send us your AGU abstract information for listing on our website <https://geodynamics.org/cig/events/calendar/agu-2016-week/abstracts/> and nominations <mailto:nominations at geodynamics.org> for the Executive and Science Steering Committees

Best,
-Lorraine

Lorraine Hwang, Ph.D.
Associate Director, CIG