[CIG-ALL] DI004: Connecting the evolution of the Earth’s magnetic field and the dynamics of the deep interior

Driscoll, Peter pdriscoll at carnegiescience.edu
Mon Jul 31 09:13:58 PDT 2017

Dear colleague,

We would like to invite you to contribute to our Fall AGU session on the
evolution
of Earth's magnetic field.

Session Title: *DI004. *
*Connecting the evolution of the Earth's magneticfield and the dynamics of
the deep interior*
Co-Organized with: Study of Earth's Deep Interior, and Geomagnetism,
Paleomagnetism and Electromagnetism
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session23048

Observations of the Earth's magnetic field provide a window into the
internal dynamics of the deep interior. Advances in paleomagnetic,
archeomagnetic, observatory, and modern satellite measurements reveal that
the geodynamo is ancient and seemingly persistent, yet the detail of how it
operates and manifests in changes on yearly to millennial to million year
timescales remain poorly known. Modelling the conditions representative of
Earth's core remain challenging, yet it is only by constraining such models
with observations that a complete understanding of the core will emerge.
This session seeks to bring together perspectives from the observational
community with those from the modelling community to convene on the
state of the geodynamo and its evolution. We invite contributions that
advance our understanding of the evolution of the field - from
paleomagnetic to modern measurements - along with numerical models or
theory that provide insight into the deep interior's history and dynamics.

We are thrilled to have the following two invited speakers:
*Ron Shaar *(Hebrew University)
*Filipe Terra-Nova* (University of Nantes)

Regards,

Peter Driscoll (Carnegie Institution for Science)
Philip Livermore (University of Leeds)
Richard Bono and Vincent Hare (University of Rochester)

--
Peter E. Driscoll
Staff Scientist