[CIG-CS] MPI references in Pythia, trying to install pylith-0.8

Leif Strand leif at geodynamics.org
Tue Nov 28 15:42:01 PST 2006

Rowena,

Pythia's 'configure' script expects compiler flags for the MPI*
variables; e.g.,

    MPIINCLUDES="-I/opt/mpich/include"
    MPILIBS="-L/opt/mpich/lib -lmpich"

However, I recommend that you avoid this problem altogether by
configuring Pythia without MPI. PyLith does not need Pythia's MPI
modules. So configure Pythia like this:

    ./configure --without-mpi

In fact, I highly recommend this, as this isn't the only Pythia-MPI road
block you are likely to encounter. (The Pythia 'configure' script has
some issues with MPICH2... or, more accurately, MPICH2 has some
C++/preprocessor-related issues which 'configure' does not automatically
work-around.)

--Leif