[CIG-CS] Variable viscosity Stokes solver

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Mon Apr 11 20:17:55 PDT 2011

Shijie Zhong <shijie.zhong at Colorado.EDU> wrote:

> It would be interesting to benchmark the results with 10^n viscosity
> variations across an element against analytical solutions for
> Stokes' flow. If you are interested in the benchmarks, I would offer
> some help.

I was thinking of three analytic benchmarks: SOLKY, SOLCX, and the
circular inclusion under shear.  These can be extended to 3D and
rotated so that they exercise all of the 3D parts.  The only true 3D
benchmark I can think of is the falling Stokes sphere.  Are there
other analytic benchmarks I should be looking at?

Cheers,
Walter Landry
walter at geodynamics.org