[CIG-CS] updating CIG buildbots to use Git

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 18 13:55:52 PDT 2013

QUESTION #1: Should CIG update to the latest buildbot release and
recustomize it or try to update the current customized buildbot so that
it has a more complete implementation for Git?

QUESTION #2: Does CIG have the expertise and resources to complete this
task in 4-6 weeks?

Background

I have messed with the buildbot configuration and source code to see if
it is easy to update to support Git. It is difficult to tell how many
obstacles are lurking under the hood.

When the CIG buildbots migrated to UCDavis, we limited them to PyLith
builds (although I think Walter used them to build Gale binaries at
release time). They build the three main PyLith software components that
change on a frequent basis- PyLith, petsc-dev, and spatialdata. We now
need to update the buildbots to use Git for PETSc rather than mercurial.
Additionally, we use the knepley/pylith branch of PETSc, so we need
relatively up-to-date support for Git.

The CIG buildbots run a customized version of buildbot that has not been
kept in sync with buildbot releases. As a result, it appears to provide
very limited support for Git repositories. This leads to the question of
how to proceed with updating the buildbots to use Git.  Most of the
customization was done when CIG started, so I am not sure what was done.
I have done some customization, primarily to allow us to package a
PyLith windows binary.

I took over the buildbots to get them up and running when CIG moved to
UCDavis, primarily because CIG had very limited staff and I know all the
interdependencies for PyLith. However, I really don't have time to
update buildbot. I would like CIG to do this but we can't wait 2 months
for this to be done. We need to get a PyLith bugfix release out in 3-4
weeks and a major new feature done by mid-June.

Thanks,
Brad